Guitarclub Index du Forum
Guitarclub
Pour tous les guitaristes, qui partagent leurs idées dans tous les domaines qui appartiennent a la musique.

Guitarclub Index du ForumFAQRechercherS’enregistrerConnexion

:: tardy brother's interviaw ::

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Guitarclub Index du Forum -> magzin and press -> Interviews
Sujet précédent :: Sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
H-INFERNO
Administrateur
Administrateur

Masculin Capricorne (22déc-19jan) 蛇 Serpent
Point(s): 2
Moyenne de points: 0,06

MessagePosté le: Dim 19 Juil - 01:58 (2009)    Sujet du message: tardy brother's interviaw Répondre en citant

2009 Tardy Brothers Bloodline Project

NEW ALBUM OUT NOW

Interview with John Tardy
By DeathWish

Few bands in Death Metal have ever gotten to the level of notoriety like Obituary. They were not a copy band, they didn’t just blend and disappear into the crowd; quite the contrary they fucking stood the hell out. Their crushing drums, hypnotic guitar styling’s, and the gutting vocals of John Tardy only further made them a truly unique band. They were in so many ways one of the bands that set the standard, and the genre was never the same since. Last year I had the pleasure of interviewing Frank Watkins while on tour with Unleashed, and since that day Obituary and John Tardy have been up to quite a bit. John Tardy and his brother Donald have since released their debut of Tardy Brothers called ‘Bloodlines’, Obituary is about to release a brand new album, oh and did I mention a DVD as well? With all this in mind I give you one of the greatest singers in Death Metal John Tardy:

DeathWish: I spoke to Frank Watkins last year about what had influenced him to create music which is now known as Death Metal, I was wondering what influenced you to do it as well?

John Tardy: Wow we are going to start off deep aren’t we? (both of us laughing) I grew up with a big brother who was into bands like Lynerd Skynerd, Led Zepplin, Molly Hatchet, kind of a Southern/Hard Rock background. So just out of default I ended up listening to the same thing, it was what I grew up on. I was born in Miami and we moved up to Tampa when we were like in seventh grade, some of the people in my neighborhood were from bands like Savatage and Nasty Savage. At the time both the bands were just starting out, Nasty Savage were making demo tapes and Savatage was going under a different name, those were the first things metal that I have ever heard. It was real interesting seeing these guys jam out in their garages, at the time none of us played any instruments or did anything musically, it just seemed real fun to us. This was back when Trevor, Donald, and I were hanging out all the time, Donald used to play drums on anything he could find, Trevor got a guitar, and we just started jamming. When we started hearing bands like Hellhammer and Slayer, that really started turning us on to the type of metal we like to play.

DeathWish: You have always had the reputation of being one of the few stand out singers in the genre. How did you find yourself using your particular vocal style?

JT: That is a tough one, it was so long ago. It kind of started in the same place, neither Savatage or Nasty Savage were as heavy as the music that we made, but they were definitely different from the traditional styling’s of metal music at the time. When we started to write music it was just so heavy and dark that it screamed for a heavier set of vocals, so I started just trying to keep up with the way the guitars and the rhythm section more than anything else. Add to this that I just didn’t want to sing about any kind of that happy stuff, not that what we write about is too serious or anything, it just all came together real well.

DeathWish: So before the split of Obituary, what were some of the most rewarding moments and what lessons did you learn to apply to the reunion?

JT: There are a lot of moments that you could look back on from that era that you could say were good times. When ‘Slowly we Rot’ first came out and I got my copy in the mail that was very cool. Our first European tour was just one sick tour, and when you get to play some of the festivals that we had played with bands like Iron Maiden and Slayer those are some of the things that definitely stick in my mind. Now everyone seems to think that we broke up, but we didn’t we just took some time off and everyone got caught up doing other things, plus the scene got quite and the record labels were quite as well. We all said that we wanted to take a break which usually means a couple months but then a year went by, two years, three years, and before you know it six years went by in a blink of an eye. We got to a point where someone offered us to do a show out here which Savatage was playing at. Once that happened all of us sitting in a room together and talking we started getting together a bunch of ideas for songs, we built the ‘Frozen in Time’ album which was insane how fast we had done that.

DeathWish: I know your brother worked with Andrew WK, and even wore an Obituary shirt on a live performance. Is it true about the rumors that Andrew helped bring you guys together?

JT: Yeah I know what you are referring to, it’s when Andrew was playing at Ozzfest in Southern Florida, he asked my brother if I would like to join them on stage and sing something like “Chopped in Half”. I said “fuck it” and drove down there and we all ended up doing several songs. I don’t know if that necessarily is what brought us back together but it was great. Andrew WK and the band used to practice all the time in my house.

DeathWish: It seemed like you guys were really back at home when I saw you here with Unleashed, what was it like to jam together after all these years?

JT: It sure didn’t feel like so long I will tell you that; it only felt like a summer away. This honestly was not one of those situations that no one talked to each other at all, we still talked all the time, sometimes when everyone was in town we would jam together.

DeathWish: Kind of like the whole riding a bike analogy?

JT: Absolutely.

DeathWish: During the hiatus it seemed like everyone was busy working on other musical endeavors while you stopped working on music and did work in music industry what made you do that?

JT: I don’t know, I just didn’t have any desire to do anything musically. Other than working with Obituary nothing really appealed to me. I guess I am just very content doing what I do and the project I started with my brother. It has been so easy working with Donald it has been one of those situations that someone starts a thought and the other guy finishes it.

DeathWish: I have read the great reviews for ‘Xecutioner’s Return’ and even really liked it myself. What did you personally think of the album?

JT: I love it, it seems like I get more and more excited with everything that we do. It is easy to get excited about making an album, but it is difficult to love 100% out of an album that you made. We have just really been loving the sounds that we are getting for last couple albums. I am still amazed at the music that we are still making and how heavy it is getting. I mean anyone can play fast and dark, but it is that meat and potatoes that Obituary brings to the table with our rhythms that makes people just go fucking crazy.

DeathWish: Well you guys are certainly picking up steam with a new album already on the way, how is this one going to stand out amongst previous albums?

JT: Man I cannot wait for you to hear this album! I think another good thing about Obituary is that we always sit down and listen to the material and always make sure it has that staple Obituary sound to it. This album definitely has that classic Obituary sound to it, the drums are so large in parts and I think we may just have the fastest song on an album yet with this one. This album just comes out smashing.

DeathWish: Well just to add to all that you and your brother have finally released your debut album ‘Bloodlines’, how did this particular project come around and what were you and your brother looking to create with it?

JT: Well we have been thinking about doing this project for a bit, some of the songs we have been poking around with for years. It has been really tough especially with Obituary’s schedule as of late to find some time to work on them. We have now picked up with Tardy Brothers with the album, interviews, and now we are trying to line up some live shows for the project. All of Donald’s gear is here in my house and he has been here about six days a week, so we have been switching on and off what instruments we have been playing on. The more we started putting the songs together the more excited we would get about the whole idea. We brought on like four different guitarists to add some leads to it, and started sounding really good. I have been listening the hell out of the album, I love what we created.

DeathWish: How different was it working on ‘Bloodlines’ over Obituary material?

JT: Well the whole process starts off with DT and I just writing material so none of the other guys are there. There is some material on there that I think if we had tried to do it with Obituary it may have been met with some criticism. We wanted to ad some solo material on there, some of them turned out maybe a little prettier than what you would find on an Obituary album, plus we added some acoustic parts. It was real nice to do something different.

DeathWish: Was it difficult to find that sound that will separate it from Obituary?

JT: I do have to say after we wrote a few songs together the one thing that did stick out in our minds is that we hoped we wouldn’t get an email that said “you should just stick to Obituary.” I mean sure with all the music that we write and that we have a lot to do with what Obituary writes it will have some similarities. I do think with Donald playing some rhythm guitars in it and being a drummer, the sound for the guitars came out a lot cleaner than we are used to, the riffs are a lot chunkier in a way that only a drummer/guitarist can do. I think the sound of the guitars also helps to change my voice a bit, the lyrics themselves are not love songs or anything (both of us chuckling) but they are not quite as morbid as something I would do with Obituary. Somebody referred to this as “almost Obituary light.” (both of us laughing) Which doesn’t offend me whatsoever.

DeathWish: So what guest contributors did you have for the album?

JT: Well first off just wanted to say that this album will be a first for me to publish the actual lyrics to the album. Aside from Donald and I writing all the music we got Ralph Sandola from Obituary playing some leads on there, which is great he’s so talented. We sometimes fight with Ralph about what he is playing, he is trained in completely different styles of music. He will sit there and play this riff that I look over at him and say “man that is absolutely beautiful, now can we make it a little less beautiful?” The acoustic song on the album is all Ralph’s doing right there. We also brought back one of the original guitarists from Xecutioner, Jerry Tidwell, we ran into him while recording this and had him add some solo stuff on there as well. The real surprise was this kid Jon Lee who Ralph taught for a couple years, those lessons ended when Ralph said “I can’t teach this kid anymore he is just badass.” For this kid’s sake I know he is getting a lot into the metal side of things, but I hope that he finds someone maybe a little more challenging because he is just that good. The last person is my good friend Scott Johnson, he is not a house hold name or anything just a good friend of mine from high school that I had throw down a solo on there.

http://vampirefreaks.com/

Visiter le site web du posteur MSN
Publicité

MessagePosté le: Dim 19 Juil - 01:58 (2009)    Sujet du message: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Admin
Administrateur
Administrateur

Masculin Scorpion (23oct-21nov) 虎 Tigre
Point(s): 2
Moyenne de points: 0,20

MessagePosté le: Ven 24 Juil - 18:12 (2009)    Sujet du message: tardy brother's interviaw Répondre en citant

I like this band !!!

MSN Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

MessagePosté le: Aujourd’hui à 22:38 (2018)    Sujet du message: tardy brother's interviaw

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    Guitarclub Index du Forum -> magzin and press -> Interviews Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers:  

Index | Creer un forum | Forum gratuit d’entraide | Annuaire des forums gratuits | Signaler une violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Flowers of Evil © theme by larme d'ange 2006